Friday, May 20, 2011

Why India?

Growing up I would watch the movie "A Little Princess" and since then I was captured with India! It seemed like a magical place full of culture, exotic animals and filled with adventure. I was always fascinated by the beauty of other countries and all the little things that made each of them unique.

India is a country rich in culture and history but has over 40% of its population currently in poverty. Not only that, but India is estimated to have 1/3 of the worlds poor. There is a great need for able compassionate people to go and help the people of India who live in diseased prevalent areas and suffering from malnutrition.

My first experience in serving abroad was in 2007. I became involved with the organization International Aid Serving Kids (IASK). I had the opportunity to serve for two and a half weeks in the Dominican Republic. It was the such an eye opener for me to experience poverty on a level I had never before seen. Right outside the city we stayed in were shack villages filled with children and little to sustain them. Our group of doctors and nurses worked to see as many families that we could and looked for the poorest of the poor. We delivered hygiene kits to those families in need of them most and it was amazing to see how grateful these families were. I knew from then on I wanted to become educated and be involved in something greater than myself, I wanted to help the world and make a difference. Particularly in 3rd world countries where there is the greatest need.

As I attended Brigham Young University (BYU) and became involved in the Public Health program, my eyes were again opened to the many opportunities of gaining the knowledge and skills necessary to serve those people in 3rd world countries. I recently graduated this past month with my bachelors degree and now I am finally able to put what I have learned in action and apply it in my Internship through HELP International in Hyderabad, India. There is no where else I would rather be this summer than to be in India with this organization.

Through HELP International we will be able to make a difference in malnutrition, poverty, anti-human trafficking, and the spread of diseases in Hyderabad. This is through our self sustaining programs of which I will be posting on regularly and through the donations of people who care to make a difference.






No comments: